Thursday, October 1, 2009

Cupcakes, Cookies, and Cake Balls


Ever wondered what 12 dozen sugar cookies looks like in your dining room? Well wonder no more!

Today is the first day of breast cancer awareness month, and so a store downtown had 12 dozen sugar cookies made with pink fondant ribbons... It was fun to go into the dining room and be surrounded by sugar cookies!



Today I made 6 cupcakes like Thomas the Tank Engine and 6 football cupcakes... They were fun :)


I also made a topsy turvy birthday cake... Happy birthday, Debbie!


Unfortunately, I have recently discovered that I need to whittle down As You Wish to no longer include cakes... this weekend I will be making my last business cakes! Hopefully cake will return to the menu again, but for now As You Wish will specialize in cupcakes, cake balls, and cookies.


On Tuesday I decided to make some applesauce with all of those apples that wonderful customer gave me!





A messy job! But in the end, it was delicious! There's nothing quite like warm, homemade applesauce... tells me that its fall!




 

Homemade Applesauce Recipe

Ingredients

  • 3 to 4 lbs of peeled, cored, and quartered apples. 
  • 4 strips of lemon peel - use a vegetable peeler to strip 4 lengths
  • Juice of one lemon, about 3-4 Tbsp
  • 3 inches of cinnamon stick
  • 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
  • up to 1/4 cup of white sugar
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt

Method

1 Put all ingredients into a large pot. Cover. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
2 Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon sticks and lemon peels. Mash with potato masher.
Ready to serve, either hot or refrigerated. Delicious with vanilla ice cream or vanilla yogurt.
Freezes easily, lasts up to one year in a cold freezer.

1 comment:

  1. Your pink ribbon sugar cookies look awesome, and your cupcakes & cake look good! It's too bad you have to give up cakes for a while. I wish we lived closer to you all. (My Mom went to UNI, way back when it was Iowa State Teachers' College, and my Dad went to Iowa State Univ.) We have lived in Michigan since long before our sons were born.

    Your homemade applesauce looks yummy. When my sons were in preschool, we used to make it. It was especially good, since each child brought in an apple of his/her choice, so there were many different varieties of apple, which was great. Ok, now we are going to have to make some this weekend. :-)

    Have a great weekend, Kirsten!

    ReplyDelete