Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Unicycles & Caramel Bars

 

I love being back to school. The fun of writing papers and attending lectures still hasn't wore off yet...

 

I also just love being back in this quirky town. Only in Iowa City would no one bat an eye at seeing an abandoned unicycle in the snow.

My roommates are awesome and are amazing cooks! Here Roomie M and Roomie A are making curry. Yummm..... (AND they hardly ever use recipes! Seriously. I'm hoping to learn some of that cooking talent while I'm here.)

 

Meanwhile, I made some chocolatey caramel bars and thought I'd share the recipe with you!
(p.s. they taste a LOT better than the pictures look)

 

 Caramel Bars

Ingredients:
3/4 c. melted butter
1/3 c. evaporated milk
German chocolate cake mix
50 caramels
12 oz. bag chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Mix first three ingredients. Pat half of the mixture into a greased 9x13 inch pan.
2. Unwrap caramels and melt with 1/3 c. evaporated milk. Pour caramel mixture over top of cake mix in pan.
3. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
4. Pat remaining cake mix between palms and lay out over top of chocolate chips.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
 Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I can attest.. these bars are 'the best'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We grew up making those bars at our house, and I'm thankful for the amounts and temperature, as it's been a lost recipe for a couple years :).

    ReplyDelete