Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Double Cake Day!

That's right, today I made two birthday cake orders! I worked from 8-4:30 (boy do I love my job! I can't believe I get to bake all day and call it 'work'!) and by the end of the day had two pretty sweet looking birthday cakes!

And Baker's Joy = sheer amazingness. I used to spend forever greasing and flouring each pan, but enter Baker's Joy, stage right! This stuff is better than Pop Rocks. Try it out.

Yesterday when I brought the tray to Dad's work I left with a cake order! Sure to make it chocolate with extra chocolate (this is my sort of cake order!), I was told to make a computer cake for Nate's 28th birthday.











I was nervous to make a tiered chocolate cake. Most of the chocolate cakes I've made have been really moist and I wasn't sure it would hold up... But I tried it anyways! I made the Decadent Double Chocolate Chip Cupcakes recipe into an 8" and 6" cake rounds. Then I cut each layer in half and put in a chocolate frosting. I think I'll be doing this a lot in the future because this way the cakes still get frosting even if they're fondant-covered.















I marbled red, black, and white fondant and rolled it out to be the "counter" for the computer. As much as I love fondant, dying it black is a work-out!











Then I made the computer and keyboard out of Rice Krispie treats. I cut up Andes mints to be the keys, then covered it in fondant and used an edible pen to write on it.


















Voila!















The next is for my uncle's 50th. Happy birthday Uncle Brad! We play a lot of cards in our family, and so he got a poker-themed cake. I made three tiers of almond cake, each tier cut in half with frosting in between the layers. Put the fondant down...


















...and added the decorations! Tada! This was such a fun cake to make!



















And now, I'm exhuasted. A full day! Calls for curling up with a cup of coffee (decaf) and John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress...

Till next time!

1 comment:

  1. A+ on the poker cake. Minus the whole almond thing... but I'll let that slide

    It's so great what you've gotten yourself into here with As You Wish! Way to take a leap

    ReplyDelete